It's a Crazy Life...But it's Our Life...

Thursday, January 8, 2015

January 8: Meeting with Carson's teacher

So Carson has been getting in a bit of trouble at school because he can't stop being disruptive in class. I asked him about it and why he was being that way. His response was because mom, I already know this stuff and I am board.

This prompted me to go in and talk with his teacher about possibly giving him more work to do or at least challenge him in some way. His teacher let me know that he is on at least a 2nd grade reading level, but she suspects that he is even higher than that but by the time they got to that part of his testing before Christmas break, he was just completely done with the testing and he just shut down and wouldn't do more. He can read big huge words like Chiropractor and excavator. I mean come on people this boy is one smart kid.

I also stuck around and watched what exactly they are being taught in the hopes of figuring out why he is so board and it left me really frustrated. They were doing math and it was about grouping objects into groups by their shape, size, color, etc. and this is the stuff that he learned in homeschool last year. I now see why he is so board. He can do simple adding and subtracting as long as he has a picture or objects to work with.

After talking to my mother in law who teaches school and getting some feed back from her last night, I went to the school today and started asking more questions about possibly having him tested to move up to the first grade in reading, but they don't just do a subject. It is all in or not at all. We came up with a plan and I am hoping that it works out. We are going to have him tested in reading, writing and math and if he qualifies to move up a grade then we will do a trial run for about a week to see how he handles it. I was very forceful in my request that if we agree to this move, I want him to have Nadia's old first grade teacher. I love her teaching style and I am comfortable with her and feel that she would be a great fit for Carson.

I just don't want to be the mom that held her kid back from being all that he can be. If he is able to succeed in first grade for the rest of the school year, he will move on to being a second grader next year.

So here is to Carson's very successful kindergarten career.

No comments:

Post a Comment