It's a Crazy Life...But it's Our Life...

Thursday, March 14, 2013

New Technique

I am not sure why I never thought to use this technique with Carson, but it came to my attention that it just might work. We have used this technique on Raven and Nadia and it has worked like a charm, but for some reason never used it on Carson. Anyway, so the idea is to tell the child what you want,then you ask them "What did I ask you to do?", they answer, then you say, "So what are you going to do right now?" (You ask once, and then make them repeat it twice) so for example...and this really happened tonight...

ME:   Carson, we are about to get in the car, I need you to get in, put your seat belt on and we are putting the child safety lock on. You are not going to complain about it because we want you to be safe.

ME:   Carson, what did I ask you to do?

Carson: To get in my booster seat and not complain when you lock my seat belt because you want me to be safe.

ME: So what are you going to do?

Carson: Get in my seat and not complain about the seat belt.

ME: Great job, buddy, thank you. (He did not complain the entire way home)

Another example:

ME: Carson I need you to go get in bed and stay there.

ME: What did I ask you to do?

Carson: Get in bed and stay there.

ME: So what are you going to do?

Carson: Get in bed and stay there.

ME: Thanks buddy. That is exactly what I asked you to do. (And then he got in his bed)

Who would have thought it would work on a 4 year old? I guess we didn't cause we never thought to try it out on him.

1 comment: